Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Canada's Next Top Metal Band

Joining 3 Inches of Blood as metal's best new hope for the Great White North is Toronto's Cauldron, a band whose debut album I've been listening to nonstop for the past week. Cauldron take the best of NWOBHM and early thrash, with a sprinkling of Dokken-style pop metal, to create an amalgram of the kind of music that I just instinctually love. One reviewer said the vocals are sung with more enthusiasm than ability, but hey, you could say the same for early Metallica. After hearing about their music, I saw a photo of the band and knew they had the image too. Seeing a bunch of scruffy longhaired metal dudes drinking beer - well, that takes me right back to the sense of fun and awe towards the majesty of rock that personified many of the best bands of the classic rock era. Plus, just look at the t-shirts: Budweiser and Dio. If that isn't a great combination (despite the watery nature of American beer), what is? Add a talent for tuneful choruses and atmospheric intros and you've got the EXACT kind of band I like.

Check out one of my favourite songs from the debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment